We lived down in Key Largo in the Florida keys for a while.
I got to fish with my dad out here once , I was about 8. We went way offshore to the place where the fish are biting. After a rough ride out we set anchor and started fishing.
A few guys caught crabs and the crabs were on the deck running around one got me a little when trying to handle it. Such are crabs.
One of the fisherman threw up on the way out, until then I had held everything down but after seeing that even I had to throw up overboard.
The fishing was fair and we made it back okay.
Later mom decided to come down here for the summer and we stayed near the ocean and did fishing right off of the dock. I never really caught anything good, fought a sting ray once that was about it.
I had made a home made "scuba" tank out of an old air tank and used fish tubing to breathe through. This worked ok in the pool but not suited for anything real scuba diving.
I had taken the scuba diving class at the YMCA before at about 14 and now it was time to get some actual open water diving in. I went out on another boat trip.
We went to Pennecamp reef outside on the protected reef area.
I remember the dive a little same thing boat trip out, not too rough and then lots of other divers paired off. I went with the instructor and we dove together.
I saw a huge barracuda swimming as well and the visibility was very good.
The dive master opened up a sea urchin and fed some other fish for the other divers.
Key Largo was nice but very expensive to live there and the water was expensive.
Since your water is supplied from a pipe from up ahead of the other islands or keys the water back then was about 13 cents a gallon (?) from memory which is in those days allot.
Then there was the causeway to get to the keys.
You have miles of bridges to get there. Toll booth at one time.
Originally the keys had a railroad connecting the atolls but a little history reading about the railroad said it had been destroyed by a hurricane not once but twice.
No comments:
Post a Comment