Monday, October 20, 2014

Memories of home in West Palm Beach

A few more things....

My mom was a hard worker and was always doing things, cooking or chores.
I remember that she did not like spicy food and would have to make dad's food separately
We canned foods a little with mason jars and sealing wax, home made jams and stored vegetables.

The television.
TV was a big thing in the evening when everything else was done, if we were lucky we would get to watch some too. I remember when the Apollo moon mission and the lunar landing was on.
We watched the grainy shadowy images of a man actually walking on the moon, this was a big deal back then as who ever was the first one to put a manned mission to the moon would be also recognized as "more advanced" and "powerful" ?as well.

It was a large Magnavox console type and had a remote, the color was not that great or was it just because it was really black and white?

Transportation
We had a VW bus, one of the older ones.The same one that I broke the windshield wiper off of.

Swimming pool
Yes you know that you are in a nicer neighborhood when you have a swimming pool. This one had a large screened in area to keep out the bugs and the leaves as well.
After the hurricane this screened in part got blown away and had to be repaired.

The pool was big enough to swim in and as I remember over my head, of course I was still a small guy back then.

Boats
My mom and dad were always the type to like to go out on the water skiing or just cruising
I think that they liked to get out on the boat.
One time dad forgot to put the drain plug and the boat almost sank at the boat ramp.
They got the boat on the trailer before it sank and bailed with buckets and drained the water out.

Baseball
I have a picture of Hans my dad and me at a baseball game, don't really remember it much.
I was  young.

Travel
As I was a little guy, don't remember all of the trips but one stuck out in my mind.
Somehow we decided to go to the Bahamas in a cabin cruiser from Miami.
The plan was to follow the large cruise ship a way back and use them to navigate the best route to get across to the Bahama island Freeport?
From Miami to Bahama is about 50-60 miles to Freeport or west end.
The trip started out nice sunny weather calm seas and nice smooth ocean. We followed the huge cruise ship a few miles back and then during the night I heard shouting and noise.
The large 55 gallon drum of spare fuel was sliding back and forth on the rear deck. Whitewater was washing over the bow. We had hit some rough seas in the middle of the night on the way there.
I was whisked back below into the cabin and finally fell asleep.
When I did wake up the weather was sunny and calm. We had arrived. They were throwing coins off of the cruise ship at the dock and divers were diving in after them.
It was very sunny and hot.

Smaller house

We moved to a different neighborhood with smaller houses and in another outside subdivision of West Palm Beach. It was a small two bedroom home. For fun sometimes we would sneak out to the woods and try smoking corn husks (they sucked) or trying a cigar that someone had lifted from the store. (tasted terrible)

I also remember for fun climbing up on the roof and jump off and rolling into the grass. Another time while riding my bicycle here a dog ran out in front and I closed my eyes thought I was going to hit him but just kept rolling on training wheels and all.






No comments:

Post a Comment