Well as you get older you are more of a pain in the neck for your parents.... especially if your a boy.
I'm sure not all boys were "a pain in the ass" but I'm sure that mom had enough of dealing with me for a while so off to dad's house.
Dad was strict and he was also a hard worker with hard ethics and rules for everything.
A much more regimented operation than mom's place.Mom was a hard worker too and had good ethics just not as much conformity as dad.
We lived in Tallahassee and he worked at a convenience store while working on his own business "Bertex International" his idea was to be a translator since he could speak all these languages but somehow it really never worked out, lots of letters correspondence and even some contacts but still working at the seven eleven.
Once he had been robbed at work there, it was a pretty scary thing I'm sure. but he gave them the money and I would have too, after all why risk your life for $4 and hour?
So it was high school time and at first I was going to Leon High School in Tallahassee. Leon is right on a hill as most of the town is on these sprawling hills.
Although nice of a place it is pretty much landlocked and far to get to a lake or even the ocean.
I was in agreement that Tallahassee is the "armpit of Florida".No offense but I liked West Palm and other places better.
Somehow I met some pretty cool slackers like myself and they were my high school friends although most of them had moved on and were now working folks for the small businesses there in town.
I even once got to drive my friend's ford to school that was cool.
I would hang out with my friends, work on cars and drive them push them or town them and we all had a pretty much of a routine.
After a while figured out that living at home was not all it was cracked up to be so moved out on my own.
This is when you live with roommates and it's guys and girl friends and more stories of course....
When I first visited dad in Tallahassee he was living with the Adair family ..adopted family friends or in Hawaiian "Hani" Family. I got to meet everyone and they were very nice, Calvin was a painter and a Frisbee talented competition specialist. He showed e his engine cleaning method using water in the carburetor interesting.His brother a professional photographer.
I helped Calvin a little to paint some house hang out and did some handy work for another handy older guy. I guess since we were always tinkering with cars working at the gas station was the next logical step.
Gas Station Capitol drive
Cars gas oil what more could you want (oh except for money) worked here briefly as a tire changer and mechanic slash slave assistant worker.
FSU and the water ski club
I got to go outside of Tallahassee with some friends once on the water ski club boat. We did some skiing on a lake west of Tallahassee and I tried to barefoot but swallowed part of the lake instead. I was still smiling.
FSU free concerts and campus police.
Yes you can have a free concert no you cannot have too much fun, we have campus police, Sheriffs and the local police to make sure that the fun is contained for you here. Don't step out of line boy!
FAMU the predominantly black college is here too, I have been on campus with friends in the dorms and hang out concerts too and everyone was way cool no bs allowed
No comments:
Post a Comment