Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Mt Dora and the Orange groves

Mt Dora...Florida

 Mom rented a place outside of town in a small orange grove, the house was near 441 and we had Oranges everywhere in the back yard, grapefruit and lemons too. There was also a bee hive.

I was out there hiking in the grove to check things out, we had orange throwing wars and drank orange juice daily as well. The more sour the better.

Got an old discarded Chevy impala that basically needed engine repairs, it smoked badly. I would drive it a little in the grove get stuck in the sand and once made the bees mad be enacting a kind of miss-directed revenge for getting stung.

Yes I backed up on the hives and tried to do a smoke out, but of course the car shut off leaving me to later try to outrun the angry bees as they swarmed the car.

School here was okay until I somehow got involved in some class beef which was always over a girl. Anytime a girl comes to you, asks for advice weather she should leave her boyfriend because he is treating her badly, beware.
Later this small conversation turned out into a stand off outside of the classroom, no fighting but the tension and adrenaline level was high.

I had some okay times and some low times, going through changes.
My older friend was also a gear head so we looked at the Chevy Impala with a 327 cubic inch American steel engine in a family car! Great.
. I had taken it apart but after taking the cylinder heads off realized that this was an expensive and harder project than I had thought it would be, RIP Impala maybe your parts lived on to see another freeway!

One thing that really stuck out in my mind is that I went to a Pink Floyd concert with my older friend that had a car. We went to see "Pink Floyd Wish you were here tour" in the stadium in  Atlanta GA.
That was a pretty long drive, we get to Peach tree street in Atlanta and there's like the real poor black neighborhood surrounding the stadium downtown.I guess the first time really noticed poverty except for seeing some of Chicago when very young.

We got inside and it was packed! Lots of people we had floor seating which is floor standing still had fun.
So as most curious fans we decide that we would like to see the band. We sneak past security and end of at sort of the back door part of the stadium where the stars get in and out, but we could not get in, were told to leave but we waited above hoping to see a glimpse of the band.
7 June 1975Atlanta, GeorgiaAtlanta Stadium
 We saw several limos come and go but no David Gilmore or anyone else in the band ...they probably were already at the hotel party...smile
Back on the road a long drive and back to Mt Dora.


References Wipikedia and G Maps

No comments:

Post a Comment