I think that I was in eight grade and my mom was renting a place inside of here.
Our house was pretty much by itself although there were a few houses in the subdivision, most of the lots were empty.
I'm not sure why, perhaps location location location...as the Realtor's always say
The subdivision was outside of town and not that many people wanted to live in this area.
I was an adventurer here and did ride my bicycle and learned to drive a little on the back roads (okay most of the place was back roads) Armadillo were running around snakes as well.
The lake was a distance away from our house.
A few of my friends lived down near the lake and had mini bikes, Honda QA50 cc with transmissions and his older brother had a Honda QA70 cc it could do over 55 mph.they were fast and small, small wheel diameter.
Mom was not able to afford such toys but got me a mini bike. It had a Briggs and Stratton 3hp engine and was slow but did ok except in the dirt. Still better than walking. My love for motorcycles came at an early age! My friend's bikes were much faster but we at least got to ride around the subdivision.
Later the brother who had the faster 70 cc Honda broke both of his legs, remember visiting him and he had a cast on both legs with a brace between terrible plus having to use a bedpan. Maybe better I did not have one of the fast mini bikes!
Then there was the story of the oldest brother coming back from a party Lake Wales with his El Camino truck (looks like a car in the front) a friend was also with him and was drinking too and passed out in the Elcamino bed.
On the way home a car stopped in front of him and he had to stop suddenly and his friend got paralyzed from a neck injury. I was not there but the story was terrible.
A friend of mom's had a place near the entrance and the gold course and I did some yard work for them. After working he offered me my first bloody Mary mixed drink. I never was much on alcohol but it tasted more like tomato juice so it tasted smoother, better than beer..But I was not a drinker.
Then they turned off my mom's electricity one time. We had no light and she had either forgotten to pay the bill or was broke or both. My solution was simple, since we had no meter go find an unused one and stick it in, walla we had lights. Only one problem after several days a utility guy drove by and noticed that our lights were on, I got in trouble but not too bad, guess that they felt bad about it and let it slide, Mom got her lights turned back on the right way after that.
Riding around in mom's car (AMC?) Not a pacer ...joy riding on the grassy areas and lost it playing around. I had to dig out the front of the car as I ran off of the road on to the bushes there , soft sand and palmettos lots of palmettos everywhere off of the roads, some of them un-paved and just grass or even dirt.
Armadillos are everywhere I think that Lake Wales can be known for other things but in this subdivision when we were there Armadillos are everywhere oh and a few snakes too, never really saw one standing up like in this picture, they usually are fast and in the Palmetto bushes as your walking.
Google map here:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Indian+Lake+Estates,+FL+33855/@27.7959678,-81.3607929,7843m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x88ddb029a6fa3d1f:0x7581d1e5625aaeff?hl=en-US
Website:
http://www.indianlakeestates.net/home.asp
Picture credit Ridge State Forest
No comments:
Post a Comment