Monday, November 3, 2014

Stuart Florida and the Chris Craft and Stuart inlet dive

Well when I was super young we had a small wood cabin cruiser yest this is the one that survived the gulf stream and possibly the Bermuda triangle route to Free port Bahamas.

Before the Chris Craft we had rented a place down off the inter coastal waterway in Stuart Florida.
It was actually "off of" the main waterway and more on it's own canal. I was told that Perry Como had once owned a home across from this. I may have been too young to know who he was just that he was a singer. Since my mom reminded me of this several times I would have to assume that she had a swoon or crush for him as well.

There were allot of mosquito and worse the sand gnats would eat you alive here. The humidity was pretty high as well. We were right on the water or canal.
At fourth of July I launched fireworks (stick and bottle rockets) out of a fiberglass sliding tube that was a military surplus launcher, how cool. I wish that I had the real practice flares to launch.

Possibly mom was having you know one of those mid life crisis again and decided that owning and living aboard a Chris Craft would be much better than living in a home.




So getting back to the Chris Craft Mom bought this 40 foot double cabin cruiser. First thing it needed was dry dock so we had it hauled out. The picture is not the actual boat but close to our boat, most of the teak was painted over for easier upkeep.

We were putting varnish on the rails and I had a cup of mountain dew mom had a Dr pepper and a cup of varnish. After a while Mom accidentally sipped the varnish but she did not swallow it. Varnish tastes terrible. Right away I saw that the owning of a boat especially a large one is allot of maintenance.

After the dry dock we took the boat to another marina and had some exhaust manifolds replaced.
The exhaust is usually water cooled and they were probably corroded.
The engines were gas and they were Chrysler motors 318 cubic inches two of them.The mechanic was pretty glad to get done since both of the engines were under the living room (Saloon?) and not very easy to work on.

The boat okay "Yacht" was big. In the front or the bow was one bunk bed storage and then a small bathroom. Next was a kitchen and stove refrigerator and cub bards. Then up the steps to the living room and there was furniture just like a house,


In the "living room" was also a helm to control the boat, steering wheel and two throttles with transmission control. Then in the back was the stateroom or the "master bedroom" and then a small after deck.A set of stairs led to the fly bridge.
On top of the bedroom was the bridge or the upper helm with controls and radios and everything to drive the boat.

Not sure how much gas cost back then but those two engines had to of had a big gas tank and gas bill if you wanted to go somewhere.Think that they were Chrysler 340 or 318' V-8 engines

Stuart Inlet Dive
I guess this dive stuck out as it was probably one of my first "open water dives" after taking the scuba class at the YMCA. I could not get my "c" card or certification because I was not 14 yet.
I was possibly 13? at the time.
 I went on a scuba dive trip in the Stuart inlet. The visibility was really good and dove with a dive master and a group of divers.
I saw fish and we drifted with the current at up to 80 feet. I saw a school of sharks swimming and they were cruising not aggressive just going to get some lunch somewhere.
Because the water was so clear and there was lots of marine life too it was a dive that stuck out in my mind, of course the first good dive that you get will always stick out.

Off to "greener pastures" Mom decided to move but now it was much easier... we could just drive the boat there. Palatka FL bound.

No comments:

Post a Comment