For my science fair project that year (think that it was the eight grade(?)
Decided to go over some of the different methods of propulsion. I had some steam engines some gas engines and then a nuclear powered moon rover model.
I had steam gas ramjet turbine and nuclear engines on the project. Maybe covering more items just wanted o go over them as they were developed.
My downfall was not having more data for this project that is what the judges want I think. I was asked what the statistics were and other questions that should have had more information about but the whole process was good learning and of course allot was done at the last minute.
The state science fair is looking for innovations, one of the projects that I remember winning one year was the pointed car because it was safer and bounced to the side if it hit something. Nice idea.
A few major car companies already have side panels that come off so that the car is more pointed if it collides with an object.
I went to the University of Florida science department to do a little research for the nuclear moon rover and learned a little about how they measure radiation and had to wear a badge at the small reactor there.
I also saw a small hybrid car project that they were working on. I thought the design was a good one.
Basically an electric car but it had a small gas engine battery charger and power supply so that it could also run on the gas as well. I forget exactly but it was very good one gas and probably more suited for urban short distances.
I did not win the science fair that year but did okay and learned allot from working on and studying different propulsion engines.
Is this where the Japanese got the idea for the prius?
ReplyDelete